22.6.09

Grays Gamble, Newark's Roy April's Top Players

NEW YORK, NY. May 1, 1918 - The United League Player of the Month honor has been given to Emile Gamble of Washington for a superlative month.

"I actually never wanted to be a pitcher," Gamble told reporters when asked who he credits for his pitching ability. "I was an outfielder until high school and on the third day of tryouts my coach came up and said, 'Son you couldn't hit a lick even if we put it on a tee for ya.' Well, that ticked me off, so I decided if I couldn't hit I wanted to make sure no one else could either and so here I am."

It all turned out for the best as the Washington starter notched a 5-1 record with a 1.57 ERA last month. He made 7 starts and struck out 22 in 63 innings.

When Michal Roy stepped up to the plate in April, he did it with confidence and today he was honored with the Columbia League Player of the Month award.

The young Newark second baseman posted a .406 batting average with no home runs, 17 RBIs and scored 19 runs. Roy also worked pitchers for 13 walks to post a .463 on-base percentage.

No comments:

Post a Comment